Many women in Egypt, the Middle East, and Africa haven’t been able to enjoy their bodies and own their experiences for far too long under the rule of patriarchal governments and authoritarian regimes. But that is now changing.
Egypt, the Arab world’s most populous country, has the highest number of women and girls in the world who have experienced Female Genital Mutilation, with a prevalence rate of 87 percent among women aged 15-49. Nearly 98 percent of women in Egypt say they’ve experienced some form of sexual harassment from men.
So how can we address the different forms of sexual abuse in Egypt and beyond? How can we better educate girls and women on how to achieve sexual sovereignty and bodily autonomy? We tackle these topics and more in AWRA’s ongoing YouTube series, #ReclaimTheNarrative.
- Dr. Wednesday Martin – Acclaimed American Author & Cultural Critic
- Merhan Keller – Egyptian Activist, Entrepreneur, Model & AWRA Member
- Reem Abdellatif – Egyptian-American Journalist, Founder of Redefined Communications & AWRA Co-founder
- Rehab Fayed – Egyptian Life Coach, Activist & Co-founder of Marwa Fayed Toyrun
- Hala Shalaby – Gen-Z feminist, Egyptian Student & Youth Leader